Monday, April 30, 2007

Secular Faith?

I'm not quite sure if this is the right title for this blog-entry, but the point is this: It is said, with good intentions, that Christians should affirm that we have more in common with other 'people of faith' than with 'secularists', but I am sure that this is not always the case! By saying this, I am certainly not attacking the interfaith movement, because that is essential in its own terms, not least because it is a properly Christian concern to build relationships and share in conversations with those who are 'other', those from whom we can learn, those from whom we appreciate how we are seen ourselves, those with whom we can work for justice and peace. However, I am aware that there are issues on which I wish to stand firm with so-called secularists (even if they are wrapped up in western Enlightenment assumptions! for I certainly do not wish to throw out the wisdom of the Enlightenment with its dirty water) in the face of dubious religiosity. I am thinking of science, respect for its methods and (tentative) findings, the concern for 'secular' human rights, the importance of secular education, the value of a church-state divide (for the good of both) and generally the need for religion to be exposed to secular suspicions. After all, I am convinced that, if God is for religion, God is also for the secular - not unconditionally, since God is not unconditionally for religion either! - because God has high hopes for humanity's capacity to critique bad or dubious religion. We are given prophetic resources within our religious tradition(s), to critique our concretions of anti-secular ideologies, but we must also be open - dare to be open - to those extra-religious voices which criticise our religious ideologies. This is not merely because I read The Guardian, as though I give more credence to it than 'The Gospel' (as some sneering religionists might suggest), but because our Good News is fundamentally self-critical, a living, organic tradition, which takes seriously humanity's God-given quest for truth in all its multi-facetedness. This does not make me reductionistic (not always, anyway!), or debilitate my ability to criticise secular materialism, but I should remember that some secularists are also critical of materialism, and we must be committed to serious relationship with 'the secular' on such an understanding.

2 comments:

Martin said...

A really interesting piece!
I have, for sometime now, been very interested by the relationship between 'human rights' and faith. The ultimate question for me is - 'Does Human Rights need God?'

This has come from a recognision that recent Human Rights legislation seeks to protect those of different sexualities, whilst some faith communities have sought exemption from such legislation.
I have mixed feelings about this and have to ask - should such exemptions been allowed or can we fix Human Rights across all theory and theocracy.

This is certainly a process of specific critique of 'secular' moral thought.

I am reading 'Does Human Rights need God? (ed. E M Bucar and B Barnett) - which approaches this question from secular and inter-faith perspectives. I'll blog something when I'm finished!

Thanks for thoughts!

Martin

GJ said...

Thanks, Martin, for your comment. (Nice to have a new comment!) At a conference last year I met Esther Reed, who's based in Exeter, who was writing a book about human rights and faith - particularly with reference to asylum-seekers, but with wider connections too. I don't know if it's published yet. Have to look out for it.