Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Spreading the word? (liberally)

It's a strange tension: the prospect of this "Jesus-movement" changing the world, of it being something truly radical and revolutionary for the sake of the oppressed and marginalised, can be genuinely exciting ... but I am hopeless when it comes to speaking to people who do not know much about it. In fact, my liberal sensibilities are such that I am very reticent, tending to be very wary of what people will make of it - after all, passion is a bit embarrassing, isn't it?! - and there are so many problems with the Church at large, that it is difficult to invite people to be a part of it ... and on the one hand, I don't lose any sleep about this, because I focus on working with the people already committed to the church, and kind of expect them to invite others! So how, if at all, should I set about becoming more able to say "this story is worth it", "this movement really can make a difference - trust me"? And how especially should I do this without being heard as saying "this movement is the best", because I know only too well that other agencies are making invaluable contributions, and other faiths must always be part of the conversations?

2 comments:

Kate said...

am all for speaking about faith - confidently tentatively & with the possibility of being fundamentally re-shaped & morphing into something else. It has happened in several ways already in my life and now with more BISFT stuff there are (again) some more challenges. But I do wonder about the integrity of propping up a church which has so damaged including me - but there is nowhere to go where for me there is no patriarchy - it is part of me. An alien in and an alien out of church. I am ok to speak about faith so long as it is sharing not beginning with the assumption that the other person has an empty, head, heart or life as often happens. Am thinking that church is less important and community of christ is more...but less grasp-able. anyway, am waffling a bit now.
Also - you could put some snaps onto the site and it will help the look of it a bit more - one with each comment you make - just a suggestion.

GJ said...

Mmm, interesting thoughts there, k8! Yes, much to be added to the site by way of nice pictures etc. Thank you for being the first 'commenter' - this wins you a prize ... um, a tin of tuna! Excuse flippany - been a strange day!